Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Tea Bag, Baby Giraffe and Other Stories




I was reading a book, which I had picked up some time back from a street vendor but got a chance to read it now only. I had picked up the book not because of the author or the title of the book but just because it had a foreword by Rahul Dravid.  In my opinion, a gentleman professional, who put the game before himself? Who, choose to coach the under 19 team, rather than take up the lucrative job of Indian cricket team coach.  Well, that is another story to tell.
I am talking about Prakash Iyer’s book “The Secret of Leadership” published by Penguin. After leaving Air Force rather early I went to set up about five factories and then did not accept the offer by the American Company which had purchased the business to relocate to their headquarters in USA but choose to come and share my experiences with the students by teaching in Management and Engineering colleges. One of my habits was to introduce the topic by giving out a small story and from the lesson of the story introduce the topic and initiate teaching and discussion.
The book contains a number of small stories, about 60 of these, and from these Prakash has managed to draw beautiful management lessons. There is no starting and end point but you can read any story and then go back to the next one as you please. The book is as the author says is a salad bar and you could start from anywhere and finish anywhere depending on your choice and preferences and still end up being satisfied and happy because everything is good in it. They are all independent. The first story “Leadership lessons from a Tea Bag” was amazing and I kept wondering as to how many lessons can one draw from such a mundane thing as a tea bag, which is normally used and thrown away without any remorse or thinking. Thank you Prakash for the beautiful story and the 10 leadership lessons one can learn from a tea bag. Well, I fully agree with you that most of us simply do not use all the gears in our multi geared cycle.
Two other interesting stories and the lessons which one can learn from are of baby giraffe and lessons from a driver. Both of these are equally amazing but the tea bag definitely stands out and takes the cake. The other stories, a tale of two seas, a 500 rupee note and two lessons, put the glass down, the power of hope, when one door shuts, run with your mind not just your legs, the frog and the TV tower, hold the door open and lessons from Burger University are good and interesting to read.  I always felt very annoyed when my car got a scratch and felt depressed and an urge to get it corrected but thank you Prakash for helping me to understand that I should let the scratch stay where it is and rather focus on enjoying my ride. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and learned a lot from it. I also endorse the views expressed by Rahul about giving the book to my children and grandchildren to read. The beauty of the book is to give out something as serious as leadership lessons or tip for success by picking up mundane objects and making out a story and from what you see, hear or have experienced into a beautiful story and lessons which can always remembered through the story. We always remember the stories but often forget the morale or lessons from it and this book make it a point that you will remember the lessons just because of these interesting and inspiring stories.
A, book definitely worth buying, keeping and gifting.

No comments: