Sunday, November 11, 2007

Last Log Book entry

1. First of all let me have the pleasure of thanking all of you individually as well as collectively for all the love, affection, respect and guidance I have received from each one of you . Probably, "thank you" is too small a word for it. The feelings, I am afraid, can not be expressed in the limited vocabulary I have, but I do sincerely hope that you will feel in your heart what I wish to convey but somehow can not bring myself to either say it or have the words to express it. It was only yesterday, that in 1994-95 , we used to sit on the floor of our present unit 1 without any tables or chairs, as we had none at that time and neither sufficient funds to purchase them, to do our routine factory jobs. It is still a dream that we used to walk miles and miles to do our job as we did not have vehicles. I can still vividly remember that we had to bring money from home during the first year so that the workers could be paid in time before 7 th of the month. I do not know how many of you have gone through such a wonderful experience which will teach you so many things in such a diverse ways. I do not think any business school or university can each you those wonderful things.. We had enjoyment and hurt, love and hate, faith and mistrust, affection and rejection, success and failure, elation and depression and to top it all the wonderful world of having to wait endlessly outside the offices to get our job done. Sometimes we had to bluff and at times threaten, pleading and at times demanding, patient and at times impatient with officials and people in order to get our legitimate jobs done for which they were paid and still demanded money from us. I can still feel and remember the happiness and pleasure , which I felt way back when we made our first machine and the refill bottle in Baddi. The feeling was just like holding your own newborn baby in your hand for the first time. Well these and some other memories I would like to take along with me , of course with your permission and blessings. These are some of the stories I would like to tell my grandchildren , while thy are sitting on my lap in the morning sun on a winter morning in the balcony of my house.

 2. It has been a long and tough journey from those days in 1994 to 2005. But even with those ups and downs, like a roller coaster ride, we had been constantly going up, at a rate of approximately 40% each year, and have now reached a position , which very few companies can achieve in a short span of 11 years. and with the limited resources we had. It is a credit to all of you who have "transformed" the company from what it was to what it is now" World's largest producer of Mosquito repellent". A tribute to the hard work put in by each and everyone of us.

 3. This transformation has not been an easy and smooth one. For that matter no transformation is ever easy, but is full of pain, hurt, failure and the joy of having successfully done that. For any transformation to be successful it has to have the essential ingredient of "Good Attitude", whether the transformation is of an individual or of a company. The attitude of a company is in fact the collective attitude of the people who are part of the company. We have been trying to do his transformation in our limited way in our factories at Baddi. I did not have a chance to interact with people outside Baddi , in spite of my best efforts to have a fruitful discussion on this process of continuous transformation. So please bear with me for a while so that I can share with you now at least a minuscule part of what all we had done in our factories. in a nutshell. The key to having a good attitude is the willingness to transform oneself and a firm belief in one's own capability. You get what you believe in. One has to become a unreasonable person in order that the transformation process proceeds. A reasonable person expects the world to go on as much as it has always been. Hence a transformation can not be successfully achieved by a reasonable man as he is very comfortable with the status quo and to change you have to question the process and hence have to become unreasonable. Please forgive me if I have been unreasonable with you at times or you have found me to be unreasonable person especially, when I have refused to accept the way the things are normally done, or have been done in the past, or in other companies where you had worked earlier. As long as we have the attitude , that it is OK, or it is the way things are done or it is the way we do things , we will not change. People who believe that nothing should be done for the first time never see anything being done. One has to have "FIRE" in his/her belly and in turn the passion to transform oneself and the environment around him.. 'FIRE" represents the financial quotient, intelligence quotient, relationship quotient and emotional quotient. The most important thing to remember is that you can transform , change the way you do things and this in my opinion is the greatest motivation of all. A belief in one self and the zeal and commitment to change. This urge to transform has to be a deep seated desire not only to transform oneself but also the environment and people around oneself.

 4. I strongly believe that " What we have become today is because of what choices we have made or action taken in the past and what we will become tomorrow or in future is what we choose to do today". Therefore choose to transform for better. I am sorry if I have been slightly nostalgic, but I do sincerely hope that you will forgive an old man like me for becoming nostalgic especially when it comes to things which one has created with passion. It is another matter whether other's recognize it or not.

 5. I can only wish all of you success from transforming oneself and as Yoda says to Luke Skywalker in the "Return to Zedi" , after he had completed his training as a Zedi master, " Let the force be with you and guide you in all your actions". The only thing I can say at this moment is that" may the passion of transformation be with you and guide you to achieve and full and true potential within you.

 6. May god bless all of you with the desire to transform and give you the "FIRE" in your belly to "Transform" not only yourself and also the environment and people around you for " Better and Better". with best wishes

No comments: